Thursday, March 3, 2016

Schneider Weisse Wiesen Edel-Weisse Tap 4

It's just so fun to scream in whatever your favorite German inflection is: SCHNEIDER WEISSE WEISEN EDEL-WIESSE TAP 4!
Mine sounds semi-angered although I regret that falls in line with every possible stereotype of Germans.
My wife hates this about me, repetitive screaming in mildly humorous bastardized accents. I'm certain no one in Germany sounds like this yet this is how I believe Germans speak because this is how Hollywood explained their cadence.
Why would anyone scream out loud: SCHNEIDER WEISSE WEISEN EDEL-WEISSE TAP 4 in real life? Not even G Schneider and "Sohn" (Does that mean son? I don't know, obviously I don't care about being accurate about German culture at all) would be as exuberant about their amazing ale.

The story told on the back of the tall pint glass tells an interesting tale. For this portion I'm summoning the disposition and speech pattern of Christoph Walz in Inglorius Bastards.. Begin.

During World War II, George Schneider's master Weisse Brauhaus im Tal Munich was destroyed. The original recipe for the brew was revived by the fourth generation George Schneider during the Munich Octoberfest of 1942. For 57 years the beer was dormant until the family brought together a select group of brewmasters to revive WEISEN EDEL-WEISSE TAP 4.

And scene..

OK. SILENCE.




Time to review the beer which should never have been dormant for 57 years. Lets start with my love affair with German beers in the fall of 2015. How? Why? I don't know but I knew I needed a break from the Belgian run I was on and was out in New York one night. Yada Yada Yada, next thing you know I'm at the Beergarden next to the Standard way downtown and drinking some German Witbeer which hit the spot and all of the sudden I'm demanding my beer buddies at the local spot where I buy to show me the German aisle. Weisen Edel-Weise Tap 4 was among the suggestions. And it was a good one. Yes, it's a Wheat Beer, but it has the look and feel of what it states itself to be, an ale. It has a copper color and almost no head so it lacks that familiar witbeer foam. But it has that same smooth finish with the added incentive of the sharp ale bite. But this is far from the British ales where the bite stays with you. This is more like a nibble demanding you to drink it faster then many of the German Wheats I'll get to at some point.
Weisen Edel-Weisse Tap 4 goes well with the spicy red Asian chicken dish I just ate. I know that's absurd. Whatever. I scream in a bad German accent A LOT. I have found it to pair well with many dishes as it became a go to for me this fall. The bottle retailed for about $4.50 at my beer shop.

Now if I can only get a grip on why when I drink it I refer to my 3 year old as a "small Bavarian child."

No comments:

Post a Comment