Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Two Roads Evil Twin Collaboration Geyser Gose

So back to Vermont where I had the showdown of Treehouse versus Sip of Sunshine. We'll call that one a draw. The wild card in the whole shin dig was the introduction to Gose (pronounced Go-zah or Go-Zay, or who the fuck knows really). I've never had a Gose before. Keep reading asshole. It's not like this is right next to the 12 packs of Natty Bo. In fact I never heard of a Gose before this night. Keep reading asshole. Do you know what Tempranillo is? You don't. Now shut up.

So, while this night turned into the "Treehouse is the unicorn of beers versus groovy groovy groovy Sip of Sunshine," the Gose was the most memorable thing probably because, as you the asshole already know, it's as unique a beer as one can find. And good thing the first version I tried of this was the Evil Twin Two Roads Collaboration Geyser Gose, because it is one of the most memorable beer experiences I've ever had.

It's an ale brewed with Icelandic Moss (can't be easy to procure. "Hi Sir, and what aisle could I find your Icelandic Moss?"), herbs, kelp (I didn't even know kelp was a real thing, always thought it was slang), and sea salt. Let me tell you something, that sounds awful, like the most awful thing ever put in a glass.



Once poured, it smells like the Atlantic Ocean, specifically the areas where you'd find a ton of stringy seaweed covering the sand At sunrise. It was extremely salty to the nose as well, kind of like walking around Portland Maine.
So you have to get over the description and the smell because this basically is nothing like beer, it's like something you assumed the Vikings forced their young to feed on. So, I closed my eyes, considered pinching my nose and took a sip. And it was... Great.  It's wildly unique like eating a fresh oyster for the first time, briny, salty, really unusual. But it's strangely like an aphrodisiac. It's crisp and has this vague touch of Sunkist Orange soda.
It's a burnt orange in color with the head almost disappearing as quickly as it is poured, kind of like low tide.
The salt really overwhelms the beer but ends up clean and extremely palatable. That first sip is like that unique scotch where you question how you could possibly like this but then it grows on you fast.

So the Evil Twin has done it again, forced me to like something that borders on the bizarre. I now know that Gose isn't as rare as it would seem to this good ole American drinker, but it is certainly a massive change up to whatever your or my flavor of the week happens to be. And it turned the Treehouse v Sip O Sunshine debate into a 3 party race.

No comments:

Post a Comment