Friday, May 13, 2016

EvilTwin Nomader Weiss

I'm having this beer at a sushi spot in the hip part of Louisville on the eve of the Kentucky Derby. The word "hip" is being used loosely here, but that's not meant to piss all my Kentuckian friends off. I don't know whether Kentuckian is a word, but it should be as in: I might as well have a doctorate in bourbon and horses which makes me an honorary Kentuckian.
Anyway, the day was spent at Churchill Downs scanning the fashion and races through some cheap RayBan sunglasses that I borrowed from a woman. Long story.
I was there for work with the Jockey Club which is the marketing arm of big time horse racing. Here's the link to what we came up with from the 2016 Derby the following day.

https://www.americasbestracing.net/videos/2016-abr-wired-bram-weinstein-kentucky-derby

OK I'm done giving you the me me me me crap. So we're at a place that specializes in sushi and other moderately Asian items. So I'm concerned the people I'm with are not culinary experts. It's hit or miss in this sport. A friend described a Derby through the lens of Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith by saying it's the only event where you can meet the Queen of England and Ron Jeremy outside a pot-o-potty. The last part happened this past Saturday.
The group I'm having dinner with swore by this place even thought the menu demanded you have to save room for the tempura friend Snickers bars.
Look, I'm thinking about seersucker suits and smoking expensive cigars. I'm in no mood to slum it Kentuckian style.
And the beer list scared me. I think I mentioned in a previous post that I almost can't eat sushi without beer and in most cases, some kind of Japanese fare. The list I got had a bunch of craft things which suggested this place was so scatter brained it didn't know it's audience. Who thinks the perfect meal is  a rainbow roll, deep fried Twix and a Miller High Life?
I did recognize one brewer, which as those who travel know becomes unusual when you aren't in your region of expertise. I was in Cincinnati one night and had a beer by Rhinegeist and it was great. I assume I'll never ever see it again.
But my eyes stopped on the EvilTwin who makes insane beer out of Connecticut and the one I landed on was one I'd never had. The Nomader Weiss.





I'll get to the EvilTwin's Gose soon, but let me just tell you that one of his major partners Two Roads in Stratford CT is becoming a force. And if the EvilTwin has made it out to Kentucy then it's possible my beer neighbor is about to go global.
As for the Nomader Weiss, while I'll describe it as good, I have to admit was nowhere near the level of great I'd come to expect.
The Nomader Weiss had no head on it and the can (bizarre looking to start with) demands that I "store it in the dark."
It actually kind of tasted like a cheap champagne, like Brut or Martinellis sparkling cider that was on the verge of going flat.
It was a touch sour, almost Granny Smith Appleish (I don't know if that's a word either) and was really crisp like you just bit into it.

The can instructed me also to drink this "when I'm near Madsion Square Park in New York." OK, well, um I'm in Louisville, eating sushi after spending the day hallucinating that I'll one day own the Derby winner.

As far as the EvilTwin goes, maybe I needed to drink this at night in the NYC Park, because otherwise I'll be inclined to pass on this one for another variety. Or maybe it's just that I was in Louisville, eating sushi (and the tempura friend Snickers bar) after spending a day wearing women's glasses pretending I'm going to be one of the sport's kings.


No comments:

Post a Comment