Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Detour Double IPA



I just love the can. It's got an RV on it. They point out that this beer was brewed with renewable power, wind and solar. It comes from Salt Lake City, which despite it's religious backdrop, seems like the type of place where they'd only drink good beer. Like, I assume when Mitt Romney parties, it includes a really good carved prime rib station.
I drank Detour Douple IPA with a grilled Chimichurri chicken I found on Epicurious (who as an aside should really hire me to do a web series about the average Dad who has become quite the chef). It was not the perfect compliment. So on that front, it wasn't exactly fair to judge Detour based on the pairing.
I don't picture Mitt Romney eating chimichurri, in fact I bet if I asked him what chimichurri is, he'd say a small yippy dog.

So I had to drink a second one when I wasn't thinking about Mitt Romney or grilled chicken or small dogs for that matter.




Detour Double IPA is really good. It's not heavy, but it's not light. It's got that amber Bass Ale look to it, almost red. Basically there was no head on it. The hops crash onto the back of your throat with that signature bitter splash but it doesn't last and the aftertaste is pleasantly soothing.
The aroma was a little indecipherable. I asked my wife what she thought and she said "Beer" and made an "ick" face. She's not on the IPA train. In all honesty I am only along for this ride because the brewmasters seem to have decided to make this and only this style for the time being. I'm not complaining but when German witbeers become the rage, I'm gonna party like it's 1999.
As for my nostrils, I sensed a little black licorice, not as noticeable as jagermeister but it was there.

I'd drink Detour Double IPA again and next time I'd do it with something that is from the American's chef speciality cookbook. On the beer scale of 5, I give it 4 Romneys.

No comments:

Post a Comment